One in ten care homes have coronavirus says Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty

Last Updated: 08 Apr 2020 @ 10:55 AM
Article By: Angeline Albert

One in ten care homes are reporting coronavirus infections, the chief medical officer Chris Whitty has said and he warns COVID-19 cases among elderly people will rise.

Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty talks about coronavirus in care homes on 7 April. Credit: YouTube

The warning from Chris Whitty came in a Downing Street briefing on Tuesday (7 April).

Mr Whitty told the public: “Care homes and nursing homes are going to provide us with some of the biggest challenges.

"We have seen already that over nine per cent of care homes have reported cases.

“I regret to say I think the number will go up over time, despite excellent work by the care home staff.”

'One of the most difficult things'

The true extent of the problem is unknown due to lack of testing in care homes. Although the Office of National Statistics is now reporting deaths from COVID-19, (including those in care homes), it is not specifying how many people die in care homes.

Chris Whitty added: “In terms of looking after the residents of care homes and indeed nursing homes, we’ve said right from the beginning that this is one of the most difficult things we have to do and one of the most important things we have to do.”

Chris Whitty himself had been absent from Downing Street briefings for several days after developing coronavirus symptoms. The Prime Minister Boris Johnson remains in hospital after testing positive for COVID-19.

'When will you recognise us as your first line of defence?'

The deaths of care workers as well as care home residents have occurred across the UK.

The Care Provider Alliance has called for urgent support from the government to tackle coronavirus cases in care homes, with a lack of personal protective equipment (PPE) and testing among the major challenges.

In a tweet, the alliance (@CPA_SocialCare), which represents care home owners wrote: ‘Please protect #socialcare too! Our services care for 1.2m people in the community with 1.6m #keyworkers when will you recognise us as your first line defence. #PPE #funding #CareAct support now!’

Some 221 care providers say a quarter of their care workforce is unable to work, on average, because of COVID-related issues namely: self-isolation (10 per cent); shielding (four per cent); social distancing (six per cent) or childcare issues (five per cent).

This is based on Skills for Care analysis of survey data, up to 31 March, by Care Management Matters.

Some care providers are reporting over half of their frontline workforce are absent from work.

Over a third (34 per cent) of care providers say they urgently need more staff now, while 36 per cent have been approached by volunteers.

War-time spirit in care homes

Meanwhile as the health war continues, a war-time spirit is spreading across care homes across the UK.

On March 27, Shaw Healthcare care homes across Wales, England and Scotland all linked up online to make a virtual choir to sing Dame Vera Lynn's World War Two song 'We’ll Meet Again'.